The St. Joseph Society
The St. Joseph Society was founded on April 25,1937, by Rev.
Bernard Ambrozic of Lemont, Illinois. The first president was
Joseph Staresinic. His committee included Marta Kolenko, Ignac
Horvat, Joe Vincec, John Horvat, Stefan Tivadar, Olga Kostric,
and Father Bernard as spiritual director. Meetings took place
in the hall of St. Stanislaus Polish Church, where Slovenian
religious services were being held at that time. Mr. Staresinic
served as president and committee member for over twenty years.
His successors as president were Joseph Vuk, Martin Hanc, Paul
Ruiid, Martin Farkas, and Frank Kozlar. A social and support
group for immigrants, the society's function included the provision
of social and financial assistance to members in case of illness
or other difficulty.
In 1958 the society purchased a hall on Beach Road. Activities
were terminated, however, after the parish of St. Gregory the
Great was organized two years later. The hall was sold and the
proceeds were donated to St. Gregory's building fund. From 1937
to 1960 the society held 165 meetings.